Legal advocates are a free and confidential resource to help clients navigate the legal system in criminal and protective order cases. Legal advocates can:
- support clients and explore options available to them;
- explain criminal and protective court processes;
- assist clients by working with local police, city, and county attorneys to advocate on the client’s behalf;
- assist in filing Orders for Protection and Harassment Restraining Orders. In many cases protective orders can be filed at no cost;
- attend protective order and criminal court hearings with clients to provide information and support;
- accompany victims of a sexual assault, domestic assault and/or stalking to report to law enforcement;
- offer immediate safety planning, crime victim advocacy, and explanation of criminal court procedures following a domestic or sexual assault in Anoka County;
- explain financial remedies available for victims of a sexual or domestic assault; and
- extend clients’ safety through Order for Protection Modifications and Extensions and referrals to resources for assistance in family law matters.
A civil court case can be a scary process. The advocates’ support eased my fears. Their presence in court gave me a sense of security.